Please choose a menu item to see some recent publications, grouped by category:
|- Chapters in books|
|- Papers in Journals|
|- Forewards in books|
Chapters in books
- (with Soren Bengtsen) ‘Realism and Education: a philosophical examination of the “realness” of the university’, ch 9 (121-137) in P Higgs and Y Waghid, A Reader in Philosophy of Education. Cape Town: Juta.
- ‘The Idea of the University in the Twenty-First Century: Where is the Imagination?’, in Thomas Karlsohn (ed) Universitetets Idé (volume of historical writings on the idea of the university). Gothenburg: Daidalos.
- (with Michael Peters) ‘Introduction’, The Idea of the University, Volume One. Peter Lang.
- ‘The Ecological University’, in Ronald Barnett and Michael Peters (eds) The Idea of the University – volume 2, Contemporary Perspectives, New York, Peter Lang.
- ‘The Idea of the University: Renewing the Great Tradition’, in Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions insection on ‘Meanings and Purposes’ edited by Manja Klemencic; overall editors: Jung Cheol Shin and Pedro Nuno Teixeira. Dordrecht: Springer.
ISBN: 978-94-017-9553-1 (Print)
- ‘Culture and the University: An Ecological Approach’, in A Stoller and E Kramer (eds) Philosophical Proposals for the University: Towards a Philosophy of Higher Education. Palgrave Macmillan.
- ‘On the philosophy of higher education’, contribution on section on Philosophy of Higher Education in on-line encyclopedia of education.
Papers in Journals
- ‘Reasoning the University: A Glimpse of Possibilities’, in special issue on education in Tidskrift for Politisk Filosofi (translated into Swedish) 3 (20) 52-65.
- ‘The Thinking University: A Feasible Utopia?’, in special issue of Knowledge Cultures
- (with Soren Bengtsen): ‘Confronting the Dark Side of Higher Education’, Journal of Philosophy of Education.
- ‘Some pathologies of undergraduate research – and how to cure them’, in CUR Council on Undergraduate Research.
- ‘Constructing the University: Towards a Social Philosophy of the University’, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 49 (1) 78-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131857.2016.1183472
- Barnett, R. & Guzmán-Valenzuela, C. ‘Sighting horizons of teaching in higher education’. Higher Education, 73, 1, 113-126.
- ‘Eco-dreams and university geopolitics, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-3
- Barnett, R and Bengtsen, S, ‘Universities and Epistemology: from a dissolution of knowledge to the emergence of a new thinking’, Education Sciences.7 (38)
- Preface to set of essays on MOOC futures, World of Learning compendium
- ‘A Will to Write or “That blinking cursor demands words from me”’, in New Vistas, magazine of the University of West London 2 (1).
- Conversation on higher education in Kulturos Barai (Lithuania)
- ‘EU referendum: will UK become less global, more parochial?’, Times Higher Education, 24 June,
- and also published in THE 30 June, p33.
- ‘Eco-Dreams and University Geopolitics’, invited response to Michael Peters’ editorial, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 49 (5). Online: 10.1080/00131857.2017.1288799.
- ‘Universiteto ideja tarp Sciles ir Charibdes.’ Conversation with Professor/Dr Almantas Samalavicius. Kultoros Barai, 2, 14-17.
- ‘The Value of Higher Education Today’, article in local church magazine (Christ Church, West Wimbledon).
- ‘Understanding the University: Planes and possibilities (and even poetry)’, in annual newsletter of Philosophy of Education Society.
- ‘University Education: Glimpsing a New Direction’, contribution to compendium, Challenges and Opportunities for the Century Ahead, celebrating 100 years anniversary of Osmania University, India.
- ‘General Education: A Reconsideration’, in Reflexiones Sobre los Estudios Generales en Educación Superior’, Baranquilla, Colombia: Uninorte.
Forewards in books
- Foreword for Jamie P Halsall and Michael Snowden (eds.) The Pedagogy of the Social Sciences Curriculum. Springer.
- Foreword for Nuraan Davids and Yusef Waghid, Educational leadership-in-becoming: On the potential of leadership in action. Routledge.
- Foreword for Norman J Jackson (ed), Exploring Learning Ecologies. Chalk Mountain.
- Foreword for Stephen Heap (ed), The Universities We Need: Theological Developments. Routledge.
- Foreword for Henk Huijser and Megan Kek, Problem-based learning into the future: Imagining an agile PBL ecology for learning. Springer.
- Foreword for Dilly Fung, A Connected Curriculum for Higher Education. London: UCL Press.